While I cannot say that I’ve experience every possible combination, I do believe that I have seen enough to put together some basic bits of (hopefully) useful info about bodyguards. As of this writing, I’ve leveled every class with bodyguards evenly split across the faction divide: 2 Allie tanks (paladin, dk), 2 Allie healers (druid, priest), 2 Allie dps (warlock, rogue), 2 horde tanks (warrior, monk), 2 horde healers (shaman, monk), and 2 horde dps (hunter, /mage). I’ve tried multiple bodyguards with each toon too.
For Alliance toons, Illona and Tormmok seem to be the only viable choices. For Horde toons, Tormmok seems to be the only option.
- Illona is an awesome tank. She’s perfect if you are specced as a healer or if you are a squishy dpser. She’s got great agro management and several paladin abilities to get her through in a pinch
- Delvar is useless. He’s a fail Blood DK. He’s got all the “GRAB ALL THE AGRO” abilities of a Blood DK, but he apparently lacks the armor, health, and mitigation of a Blood DK. He spends a lot of time recovering at the barracks. He reminds me of the slew of DK tanks that were seen in Hellfire Ramparts shortly after WotLK launched. The spell book of a tank without the skills of an experienced tank. I have never had a good experience with Delvar.
- Aeda is about as useful as a tank as a warlock’s imp would be. She’s only good at pushing up daisies and getting you killed, much like Delvar. I think she likes getting the one hour paid sick-time that comes from the time recovering at the barracks. I have not seen a combination where’s she’s viable (I am curious if she’s useful with a disc priest, though).
- Vivianne is a caster. Once she starts casting, she never moves unless you move the mob out of her casting range. This means she doesn’t know how to get out of the way of patrols. As a result, she has a tendency to pick up accidental agro and dies, which turns the mobs on to you. This makes her a huge liability.
- Tormmok is decent dps. If you move the mob (for example, to get out of the path of patrolling mobs) he follows. He has to, because he’s melee. If you are a dpser, he’s a decent bodyguard. As long as you can steal the agro of the mobs wailing on him, he’s not likely to die before you do. Meaning you’ll still have him after your corpse-run, rather than having the debuff. If you are a pet class or specced as a tank, he’s an amazing lemming. He rarely pulls agro off of you (or your pet), which means he doesn’t kill himself often.
- Leorahj is a caster. He suffers from the same problems as Vivianne. Additionally, while he does throw in the occasional heal, it seems really lackluster.
- Ishaal is a caster. He suffers from the same problems as Vivianne.
As you can see, most bodyguards do not get favorable ratings in my book. I also believe they were designed incorrectly. In my mind the bodyguard breakout should have been as follows (with the corrections needed to make them viable and to ensure both factions have access to each role).
- Alliance tank: Illona (Draenai Paladin – no changes need to be made to her).
- Alliance caster dps: Delvar (Dwarf Warlock – the “AGRO ALL THE THINGS!!!!!11!!!1!!!!11!!!!” ability needs to be disabled and he should always stand next to you…if you move out of a patrolling mob’s path, he should follow you).
- Horde tank: Aeda – (Blood Elf DK – with health, armor, abilities, and aggro-management on par with Illona…you know, like a real blood dk).
- Horde caster dps: Vivianne (Forsaken Mage – she should always stand next to you…if you move out of a patrolling mob’s path, she should follow you).
- Neutral healer: Leorahj (Saberon Shaman – he should cast more healing spells that are meaningful and he should always stand next to you…if you move out of a patrolling mob’s path, he should follow you).
- Neutral melee dps: Tormmok (Ogre Warrior – no changes need to be made to him).
- Neutral caster dps: Ishaal (Arrakoa Priest – he should always stand next to you…if you move out of a patrolling mob’s path, he should follow you).